Tuesday, November 26, 2013

ROCKS Earth, a piece of rock and water orbiting the sun. We walk on it, build onit, try to bring forth life and sustenance from it. Rock, or stone it is all around  and under us and shapes us and our constructs. Rock can be viewed as stepping stone or impediment. It is cold, it is strong. It is path and wall and it is even art.It is the irritating pebble underfoot  and it is valued jewel.




 ''Every  book is a quotation; every house is a quotation out of all forests, and mines and stone quarries; and every man is a quotation of all his ancestors.'' Ralph Waldo Emerson







''A rolling stone gathers no moss, but it gathers a certain polish.'' Oliver Herford


  ''Man is harder than iron,stronger than stone and more fragile than a rose.'' Turkish proverb








 I do not know how I may seem to others, but to myself I am only a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to be contented with.” Plato


''The violets in the mountains have broken the rocks.'' Tennessee Williams
 

 



 ''For a tree to become tall it must grow tough roots among the rocks.'' Friedrich Nietzsche



''I do not yet know why plants come out of the land, or float on streams, or creep on rocks or roll on the the sea. I am entranced by the mystery of them and absorbed by their variety and kinds.Everywhere they are visible yet everywhere they are occult.'' Liberty Hyde Bailey




''If it weren't for the rocks in it's bed the stream would have no song.'' Carl Perkins









''Every  block of stone has a statue inside it  and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.'' Michelangelo

















'' The finest workers in stone are not copper or steel tools, but the gentle touches of air and water working at their leisure with a liberal allowance of time.'' Henry David Thoreau

''A pile of rocks ceases to be a pile of rocks when somebody contemplates it with the idea of a cathedral in mind. '' Antoine de Saint-Exupery






''Nothing is built on stone, all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone.'' Jorge Luis Borges




“We may be floating on Tao, but there is nothing wrong with steering. If Tao is like a river, it is certainly good to know where the rocks are.” Deng Ming-Dao









“And there were other rocks that were like animals, creeping, horrible animals, putting out their tongues, and others were like words I could not say, and others like dead people lying on the grass. I went on among them, though they frightened me, and my heart was full of wicked song they put into it; and I wanted to make faces and twist myself about the way they did, and I went on and on a long way till at last I liked the rocks and they didn’t frighten me any more” Arthur Machen









One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks.  ~Jack Penn


''Drops of rain  make a hole in stone, not by violence. but by oft falling''. Lucretius


''Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift a stone, and you will find me there'' Gospel of Thomas 








''Nothing is wasted, nothing is in vain: The seas roll over but the rocks remain.''Sir Alan Patrick Herbert



No comments:

Post a Comment