Friday, November 15, 2013

A few days ago the United States celebrated Veteran's Day. I consider myself a pacifist follower of Gandhi, that is not to be passive but to actively resist, protest and stand against  injustice and oppression . I do have great respect and honor those who have been called to serve in the military. Though I may not agree with the politics that are behind the happenings of military actions and war I can  and do support the humans who ''fight the good fight''  for freedom, for friend and family. I have little personal relation to war. My childhood was  full of evening news reporting on the death and destruction in Viet Nam, and the 1967 Israeli -Palestinian War terrified this child with fears of Armageddon . My best friend's father was drafted and went to Viet Nam but otherwise my family and experience has been rather untouched by war and had no soldiers. Now I am dealing with my first born having enlisted to serve. I am afraid. This past week two died at the military camp my child will be going to in the near future. It was not on foreign soil, not in war but at a terrible accident that took two lives. death can some whenever, unexpected. I do wish humans would find a way to cease making wars that only adds more forms of pain, suffering and death. Here, today some quotes and photos as I salute those who serve and continue to pray humankind can learn to fight for peace and justice.

“Today the real test of power is not capacity to make war but capacity to prevent it.” ~~Anne O’Hare McCormick, foreign news correspondent


 “War should be the politics of last resort. And when we go to war, we should have a purpose that our people understand and support.” ~~Colin Powell



“Wisdom is better than weapons of war.” ~~Ecclesiastes 9:18


 “I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it.” ~~Dwight D. Eisenhower


''Folkets Kjærlighed Min Belonning'' Karl Johan '' The love of the people my reward.''



inscription - Our Finest Tribute To Their Valor Will Be The Quality Of Our Own Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment