Friday, January 17, 2014


I had occasion to speak with a friend who lives many latitudes north, much closer to the  arctic circle than I live. One hears tales of the lands of midnight sun in summer but the opposite means lands devoid of much sunlight in the wintertime. In my understanding sunset, and the sunrise, were  sort of non-events.it would be light, it would get less light then a rosy glow perhaps and then dark.







In my experience sunsets are an event! (I, not being a morning person have viewed few sunrises and the few I have viewed seem much more subdued than the show put on by the sunset.)







There are days I have driven, rushing traffic , to get to a good place to view sunset.Even when at a nice venue for seeing the sun sink behind the horizon I will jog back and forth  to get different angles and seek the descending orb and it's streamers through the frame of different trees or catching alternate angles on the water.





The  change from daylight to dusk can span  and hour but , inevitably, it is over and it becomes an evening sky. A person living a nice long lifetime may be able to present for twenty or thirty thousand days and thus, days drawing to a close.




The possibility of having the time to actually watch the sun go down is another matter. The  ability to good conditions for a lovely sunset is a variable.A cloudless day allows one to see the sun dip below the horizon but it is quite true that a few clouds do add color and beauty to the sunset.If there are too many thick clouds then the sunset may be totally obscured.


I celebrate every chance I can enjoy the  changing colors at the of a day's light. I hope you will enjoy the  scenes I have captured here.These are all of  winter sunsets. There is something marvelous about the contrast, the yin and yang of the  fiery sun setting over a cold winter landscape, the bold hues of the daytime star shining  rich tones over the monotonous white, silvery-grey  blankets of winter.












No comments:

Post a Comment